Sunday, November 9, 2014

I feel like this blog is going to weird, because I feel at times I'm going to say things that some of y'all KNOW and that some of y'all don't know. I know this, because when I talk to the younger generation (teens and younger) they have no idea what A Different World is. If you think that's sad, I remember talking to a group of teenagers bringing up Aliyah and was met with “Who?!”. Parents what are you teaching your babies?! Obviously, not taste.

As some of you know, A Different World started off as a spin off of The Cosby Show. The second oldest daughter, Denise Huxtable (every time I say or write Huxtable, I always think of the time Vanessa's boyfriend said “Thank you Doctah Huxztablllle!” like he was drunk), going to college. This will be the first and last time I mention their last name. I also mention the connection, because The Cosby Show had broadway style opening sequences. The opening for the first season has always been really disappointing to me. The first season is mostly disappointing. Honestly, it's been a few years (decade?) since I've seen it. It really doesn't affect most of the show.

The first episode starts out with Dwayne Wayne being a douchebag and talking to the audience. To pan out and realize and he's just harassing a bunch of young women trying to getting settled into the dorm. It's sort of like the Cos knows Lisa Bonet won't be sticking around long. As much as I don't like Dwayne, I always liked his double glasses (whatever you call them).



He's quickly put in place by the dorm director. She's cool and all. WTF? Why would Dwayne think she was a student? She's clearly old enough to be his mom.



Next, Denise comes in. Dwayne acts like she's a goddess and say his name is Earl. Denise acts like well Denise. Just flighty and annoying. We learn the dorm director's name is Stevie. She finally gets Dwayne out. On a side note, despite The Cosby Show stating Cliff is older than Claire, according to Denise they're the same age. That's the sort of flighty shit I'm talking about. She also seems too awe struck for a sophomore. I had forgotten she wasn't a freshmen.


Next, we met Whitley. It's established she's southern and rich. She's supposed to be annoying, but I'm going to confess I've always loved Whitley. I'm not sure why, she wants to deal with Denise who acts like she hates her. Whitley is looking good in her red and black assemble. I could imagine rocking that in 2014. I'm so jelly of her LV luggage.

                                                                    (check the fur!)

Whitley gives the tea about Jaleisa. Denise claims she doesn't care.

Despite not caring, Denise acts like an asshole infront of Jaleisa . Jaleisa puts her in her place. She was married, no kids, and her husband cheated.



We see Denise is a pig and has a ton of clothes. Not sure why, considering she always looks like she's wearing rags. We also find out Jaleisa is a neat freak. Cue odd couple music.

Dwayne continues to stalk Denise. I actually like her outfit. It's implied he's giving her a manifesto he gives out to any girl that catches his eye. Dwayne really comes off as a rapist/serial killer in the first episode.
                                                " You're my bitch until I kill ya!!!!!!"

Denise goes to complain to Stevie. We find out she's mom. Her son is J.T. His time is short, but his voice is the cliche tv what children should sound like voice.


Denise whines about Jaleisa not putting up with her shit. Stevie tries to pawn her on Whitley, but Denise is even more pissed at that thought. I'm not usually one for passive aggressive people, but I like show Stevie subtly shades Denise. Especially when she tells her “And remember, getting along with different people is a sign of growing up”. Basically, calling her out for being immature.


Denise goes back to room and let's it slip, she told on Jaleisa to Stevie. I think Jaleisa handles it well. Being firm, but not a bitch. She knows Denise is looking for any reason to complain. Denise don't like being read, and threatens to get a new room mate.


We cut to Denise and Whitley’s room. I'm jealous of her ability to “buy everything”. Despite my love of Whitley, she wants to commit disability fraud and put a wheelchair in her car to get disable parking spots. That was cringe worthy.


We find out Whitley “likes” Denise, because her father has a respectable job. Whitley's father is a judge.

Whitley locks her phone. I don't blame her. Denise is selfish and inconsiderate. Again, Whitley is wearing an outfit I feel could be worn in 2014.


We are introduced to The Pitt. It will become a staple meeting place.


Denise tries to have a heart to heart with Whitley, but she's checking out guys who look way too old be in college. Whitley points them out. Then, they fight over who one of the guys is interested in. Chip comes over and is interested in Denise. Whitley’s wearing her first outfit that is dated.



A 26 year old woman is scandalous. These guys look at least 30. No one minds. 

Dwayne comes over to Whitley. History is beginning.


Whitley “gives it to” Denise. She used Dwanye to dance and gets Chip to help her with her convertible. She also calls Denise fat.

Whitley plays a tape of crickets chirping and Denise gets pissed off. Whitley basically tells her to take a seat. She puts the tape back on and goes to sleep on the couch in the common room.


Jaleisa comes down with a letter and gloats. Denise plays it off like her and Whitley get along. In proving how good they get along, she loses her shit. Despite treating Jaleisa like shit and going behind her back to Stevie, she wants sympathy and to be the victim. Not much different than how she acted on The Cosby Show.



Jaleisa isn't falling for it, Denise begs to be taken back. I actually like Jaleisa's outfit. Even Denise's pajamas are ugly.



Denise is annoyed Jaleisa won't just forgive like everyone does in Brooklyn. She claims Jaleisa has a chip on her shoulder, despite imo Jaleisa just not wanting her to be a bossy huge pig. I guess even bossy pigs have rights.

Jaleisa shares a touching scene (and great acting) about wanting the typical college experience, but no one wanting to be her roommate. Denise shows she's a bitch by correcting her when she gets a part of rumor people are spreading about her incorrect.




Then, they compete over who was more wrong. As stupid as that was, at least they both laugh over it and realize it's stupid. Jaleisa than asks how they got into college. Good question. I'm really not getting how Denise got in and made it a whole year. Two semesters! My theory is Claire made a “donation”. Cliff is cheap. Any other theories?

No comments:

Post a Comment